Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Before I Forget...

I wanted to get two stories down before I forget them.

1. When Drew was being sedated before they set his broken arm he heard the doctor telling us that the IV meds they use work quickly. We were told when they start administering the medicine, he would seem totally coherent, and it would suddenly change. His eyes would start rapid eye movements, but be open wide. However, within one minute he would be completely out. Sure enough, when they started the medicine Drew asked, "Am I asleep with my eyes open?" We all laughed and the doctor told him almost. Within 30 seconds his eyes were glassy and moving back and forth quickly. He was out! Unfortunately, he had a really hard time coming out of the sedation. He didn't hallucinate or anything, but he was in and out for about 30 minutes, and very fidgety. We could leave until he could hold down some food. After an hour and a half or so he still couldn't keep a goldfish cracker down. I left to pick up the other kids, and it wasn't for two more hours before he was able to keep down some crackers, a popsicle and was finally able to come home.


Three weeks later...

2. When Alex was getting his toe stitched he also had to have some meds for pain. I think it was called Versed, or something similar, and Daniel said it made him act drunk. He was in the room waiting for the doctor to come back in and saw his juice box on the counter. He asked if he could have it with slurred speech. They gave him a small Olaf stuffed animal and on the way home he was holding him in the back seat. He looked at Daniel and sadly said, "Olaf's head fell off!" Daniel looked back and replied, "You're holding him upside down buddy." He looked and started laughing! By the time he was home 15 minutes later he was totally fine. I laughed pretty hard at that story!!

Two weeks later...

No comments:

Post a Comment